< < Back to Blog
November 12, 2020
7 Indoor Signs of Foundation Problems
Most homeowners know that foundation problems are cause for concern, as they can result in damage throughout the house that will ultimately lead to hefty repair bills.
Big problems can show very little evidence until it’s too late, so it’s important to know what to look out for so you have a better chance of discovering and repairing potential problems early on before they become too serious - and too expensive. Some of the most common indoor indications of a foundation problem include the following seemingly innocuous changes:
- Doors Interior doors can become crooked, difficult to open or refuse to latch due to the shift in the supporting soils under the home. In some cases, you’ll see the bottom of the door scrape against the floor when opening and closing.
- Walls When the foundation begins to fail, you may see signs of it on the walls inside the home in the form of cracks, water stains, crusty buildup accumulation, mold growth, buckling or bowing. Another sign of shifting is frequently noticing nails popping out of the walls.
- Windows Windows can become crooked in their tracks, making it hard to open, close and latch them. Cracks may appear in the wall above the window frames.
- Floors Shifting foundations can cause cracks in flooring over concrete subfloors. You may see cracked or chipped ceramic tiles, warped vinyl flooring, buckling or bowing laminate or even a noticeable slope.
- Ceilings When the foundation shifts, you may begin to see changes in the way the walls and ceiling interact with support beams, either pulling away from them or pushing further into them. The ceilings may begin to sag, crack or buckle and you might begin to spot water and/or mold spots.
- Crawlspaces Signs of trouble include an overly musty smell, wet walls, mold, gaps and cracks, pooling water and any other suspicious signs.
- Chimney Movement of the chimney is a telltale sign of foundation shifting. A chimney that shifts too far will eventually collapse, which could not only cause a significant amount of damage to the home but also serious injury to those inside the home. If your chimney begins to lean or otherwise looks like it’s shifting, call a professional immediately.
If you notice that these signs begin to appear or noticeably worsen, do not wait to call a professional, as they are an indication of serious problems that could, at best, cost a substantial amount of money to fix and at worst cause injury or health problems to those who reside in the home.